Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Who Really Thinks About Balance?

I was at the gym today working out and I was enthralled with the Jerry Springer show. Not the actual topic, something along the lines of “my cheating baby daddy”, but the question that popped into my mind – is work life balance an issue for the people on the show?

Are they on stage in the back of their mind thinking about how to fit it all in – how to get the kids to wherever, the presentation done, the house cleaned and the summer vacation plans in action? Please forgive me if that comes across as highbrow or elitist in anyway, that is far from my intention, just stay with me a few more sentences.

I ran 3 miles wondering if the folks on stage dream about having more time to themselves or if people in the audience struggle with trying to fit it all in. Which then lead me to thinking about the home viewing audience as well, and thoughts around what is nagging on their minds that has to be done after the show ends.

My question triggered by the show is pure, who really thinks about work life balance and how do they think about it outside the ivy towers of the corporate world, which admittedly is my main frame of reference with the subject.

I don’t know for sure, but I do know from the workshops that the triggers are different for everyone to bring them to their balance breaking point. So maybe the majority of people don’t frame it the same way as the legions of corporate minions do – but we all want the same things to feel love and happiness and have time to enjoy the things that are important to us.

It doesn’t matter where you live, what you do for a living, how much money you have, your religion, your skin color, your weight, the size of your house or the words used when you’re feeling out of control - we all want balance in some way.

No comments: