Friday, July 6, 2012

Busy. Bored. Ungrounded.

I knew I was not alone in cringing every time someone utters the word “busy”.   When I hear this word, my automatic assumption is the person who is "busy" is living out of their values, or filling their life with stuff to help them deny the fact they are living out of their values.   In this opinion piece in the New York Times, called The Busy Trap, the author discusses busy as way to avoid boredom or anxiety.   It reminded me of a concept Buddhist monk Pema Chodron, writes about as “ungroundedness”, a state in which people actually sit, feel and process all that is going on around them without the need to move to action, resolution or even draw conclusions.    So go ahead, I dare you, this weekend don’t be busy be bored.  Better yet be ungrounded.  

No comments: