Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The last day

The world appears very quite in this moment. My office walls are naked. Clear tacks are randomly dot my cork board holding nothing in place. My lamps have been packed way and the harsh overhead light makes my office feel cold and yellowish. I’m listening to hallway conversations take place for projects I no longer care about and the urgency seems very obtuse to me right now. I’m minutes from walking out on my last day as a corporate employee to evolve my life in the direction I’ve dreamed about for years. I’m sad and excited all in the same moment. A beginning and ending at the same time.

For the first time in 4 years I have zero items in my inbox, my sent folder and my drafts folder. My hard drive has been wiped of anything that might allude that I, me, this individual had that computer and my life tucked away on it for years. The hours I spent banging away on the keyboard, the late nights, Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons – no trace at all on the still shinny HP, that is no doubt already scheduled to go to someone else.

In an instant I deleted thousands of e-mails – and felt tiny pieces of my corporate ego fall into the recycle bin along side. I spent a good amount of time trying to reason with my self why I needed to keep my sent e-mail from 2004 and like a toddler my hand acted impulsively and hit the delete button before my mind had reached a conclusion and I smiled and kept deleting. And now I am uncluttered – my space – my mind – my computer is empty – open and clean to accept what is next.

Good bye corporate life – thank you for all that you have taught me and all that I have learned.

No comments: