Friday, April 25, 2008

People Centered Work Life

It’s been over a week since I left the comfortable confines of my corporate job and I feel almost suspended equally between all that has changed and all that has remained the same. I don’t receive a salary any more – but I am still working for many of the same people and the money is still coming from the same cookie jar. What is different is me and my attitude – I own me now. And it’s intoxicating the freedom of deciding where I want to work and when, and yes I even managed to sneak away to the driving range one afternoon this week.

One habit I have yet to break it checking my phone for e-mails a few times an hour. It took 2 days for the exchange server to cut ties with my synced e-mail on my phone and I still out of habit grab my phone and look to see what mails I can quickly go through. While standing in the airport on a business trip yesterday I was jealous of all the folks fiddling with mail on their phones. I kept staring at mine thinking mail might appear – but not really wanting it to .

It’s not like I won’t ever sync my phone to my e-mail again – I’m sure I will – only I like to think if I do my behavior will somehow be more mindful surrounding why I need to actually check mail on my phone and when I do it. That said t is a nice diversion when you are waiting around in a long line.

Speaking of phones – I’m trying a new experiment – to use mine more as an actual phone. I’m still coming to terms with years of e-mail overload and out of fear of quickly returning to having an inbox as jammed as the one I just left – I’m going to try and use the phone more to get business done.

It’s already freaking people out a bit – and proving to be very effective – as it’s so surprising to the folks I’m calling – that I’m actually calling them. I like the personal feel it has – somehow I feel more connected to what I am asking people for or what they want of me.

The hope is to bring the human element back into my professional life – which is so odd being that my work is centered around strategic communications. I’m going old school. Who knows maybe I’ll start sending people faxes next month.

No comments: