Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Back at it

So I’ve been off the blog for a bit. Not because I’m working too much –or I stopped caring about this because I left my corporate perch, quite the opposite. I’ve been on the down low because I’ve been wrestling with how to blog about work life balance and create a program for balance at the same time without making this blog sound like a marketing mouth piece for my business.
So I stopped posting until I got comfortable with how to write about the journey, not the program, and still produce some hopefully relevant observations to ponder.

I’m collecting lots and lots of observations on the subject. It might be because I’ve been interviewing people on the subject nonstop for the last 2 months, regardless – I'm seeing many things. When people discover what I’m working on – they have thoughts to share – deep, intimate thoughts rooted in emotional struggle and difficult choices they’ve had to make. I’m also finding that the people who have the fewest thoughts on the subject are the ones who need to talk about it the most.

I spoke to a room full of people a few months back on some simple principles around creating boundaries for balance – at one point in my presentation I thought a few of the women in the room were going to cry – and I thought – holy shit – this is big – people want to know they are not alone and they want a forum where it’s ok to admit – they can’t do it all. It was an incredibly powerful moment – a moment I realized I have a new level of responsibility with developing this program. I feel a greater sense of responsibility for the authenticity in what I’m saying and doing and am driving hard to create an opportunity for others to be real with themselves and create a new future that is different from the past.

No comments: