Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pulling the Trigger

Because balance is so subjective – I want to be clear what I mean by balance and set a common understanding that most who read this blog can identify with. Simply put work life balance is not having to choose one at the expense of the other. To me it means operating in a place where it’s not one or the other – but a blending of the two supporting each other.



For me that means making it to family events on time, every time, with no lame, “sorry I had to work” excuses. It also means having clear start and stop times for work, working smarter not harder while at work, not being exhausted by the time the weekend comes so I have energy left to engage with friends and family. Most importantly it’s not feeling like my career will take a hit if I attend to my health needs or the health needs of those I love – doctor appointments, gym time, sick days and so on.



I might have just tanked my career this week because I’m naïve enough to think that I might be the one in my group of over 1,200 to make a difference. I took a stand and said the meetings were too much, the workload too much and the expectations on my role too unrealistic. Deep down I was prepared to leave my salary, my benefits and walk out the door to become a consultant in an effort to gain balance in my life. It’s just that important to me.



The counter offer at first was to go part time – which made me realize my manager was completely missing the point or wanting making it an easy solution for the team. This isn’t about working less – it’s about changing my relationship with the company to one of mutual respect for each other’s time and value. The next suggestion was take time off – and come back refreshed – again not the point – I don’t need time off - I need clear work goals, less politics and time to do my work. The final offer was we conduct an “experiment” and I work remotely 3 days a week – but we don’t tell anyone.



What the hell? I have nothing to lose. So back to the million dollar question – can I with awareness for my accountability in work life balance riddle – live a balanced life if my company is out of balance regardless of the physical time I spend in the office? The meeting requests won’t stop, nor will the late night and weekend e-mails or endless scope change.


You might be thinking just leave already find a different job, become a consultant or whatever and get over it. Maybe you are right – it’s the type A entrepreneur overachiever in me that wants to see what will happen if I push the comfort zone in this relationship. You could say at this point I'm just poking the bear. Maybe I am.

1 comment:

Lisa Picard said...

You need to win your battle NOW because if you don't do it there (MSFT)...you are doomed to repeat the pattern at the next place you work (even if you choose consulting). This will be one of the most difficult things you do in you life, but its your journey to stand up to it or repeat it...even if it means they ask you to go. So many people spend the first half of their life earning all their wealth, losing half their health, then the last half of their life spending all their wealth gaining back their health (often never getting it back). Don't lose it in the first place.